Cats

Thursday 4 August 2016

Belfast and Donegal July 2016

A quick hop over the pond to Northern Ireland and before we knew it we were outside George Best Belfast City Airport and waiting for the Airporter bus to take us to County Donegal.


A couple of hours later after having driven  over mountains through rain and a little sun. through Antrim and a brief glimpse of the castle and through lovely countryside, our cousin Tony collected us from Derry.  Then another hour's drive to Donegal.  I have to admit I didn't know it was in the South. We were heading for Portsalon in County Donegal situated on Lough Swilly with a world renowned beach. This was our first glimpse.  It was also my last clear view of the view, so to speak. You'll hear my tale of woe in a minute.


Two minutes later the view was totally obscured by driving rain!


We had a wonderful Irish welcome from Liz and then, when Tony announced he was going for a swim, I was totally up for it.  Our motto in Cape Town was always "you never regret a swim".  There haven't been too many opportunities in the last 18 months, so here was my chance.  I borrowed Ann's bathing costume and headed out into the Atlantic. Yes, mad!  It was cold, but bracing and refreshing - wonderful.  Then, disaster...  I had left my glasses on the front seat of the car.  Tony told me to put them on dashboard but I didn't.  I grabbed the towel and headed off to change.  I think I was suffering from brain freeze. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  The glasses fell on to the ground and they were driven over, smashed, obliterated, gone.  It hadn't occurred to me to bring along backup eyes of any kind.  So long story short, the rest of my time in County Donegal was blurred and it wasn't because of the wine, though it helped.

It was the story of the day which had to be repeated to every single person we met. Much hilarity! Then we went to the pub and there was a lot more people to tell ...  I believe the view from the pub was good.  Actually through the camera lense my sight was pretty good so I spent a fair bit of time behind the lense.




What an incredibly beautiful place this is.  Here's the view from their holiday home which has become almost permanent.  Heaven on earth is how Tony describes it.


Next day we headed out to Fanad Head lighthouse.  I'm definitely going to have to come back here just to see it properly.


This is also self catering accommodation.  I would recommend it.


Everywhere you look just more spectacular views.




Quite overwhelming.  Lucky there's a pub just down the road.  Ann had Guiness and blackcurrent - interesting.  I stuck to beer.



Tony and Liz chose not to have their pictures on the blog, which I'm sorry about because I would love you to meet these wonderful, funny, hospitable, lovely people who made us so welcome. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment