Cats

Sunday 4 December 2016

Windsor Great Park 6 November 2016

The days are so short in the UK now that during the week it's hard to believe there is a world out there, so on weekends it's absolutely necessary to get outside. Today started off quite sunny and quite chilly - no frost yet, but you still need warm gear.  I wanted to see some autumn colour so I thought I'd head out to Windsor Great Park.  Parking at the Cranbourne Gate I walked into the park. On a slight rise you look down to Windsor Castle dominating the landscape.


Bonfires gently smoking brought such a strong sense of the season. That and the slanting light are so evocative.


There are quite a few people around but nothing like the hurly-burly of summer. Plenty of space to breathe.

 
Horses, of course, and you may even see the Queen.


But not today  ..


Just a younger version at the end of Queen Anne's Ride on the Jubilee Statue.


The Park is an interesting place in that as well as a major tourist attraction, it is a working estate with a farm and a small village. People, besides the royal family, live and work here. There is no entrance fee to the park, except for the Savill Garden, though from 1 December to 28 February, even that is waived.




I had intended to walk to Virginia Water but found that was a bit ambitious. It's a couple of hours walk, probably around 7 miles - one way!


I'd seen the leaves and the weather was closing in so I admitted defeat  and headed back to the village.


Passing the Copper Horse in the distance.


I stopped for coffee at the Post Office and Village Shop but there were no cream scones on offer at this time of the year, I had to make do with shortbread - good enough though.


The birds had to make do with a few apples left in a tree rapidly divesting itself of leaves and fruit.
Do squirrels eat apples I wonder?



The coffee hit the spot but it took a swift walk back to the car before the rains came down. Just made it!



No comments:

Post a Comment