Cats

Tuesday 3 January 2017

Cows and Christmas lunch 4 December 2016

Just letting you know upfront that there are a lot of pictures of cows today ...


Ramblers were doing a walk in my corner of the countryside - Burnham, Hitcham and Taplow - and then we were heading for The Old Five Bells for Christmas lunch. Though fairly close (26 miles) to London, it's very much a region of countryside and little villages. This dairy farm is on the edge of Burnham and makes excellent ice cream in summer.  These cows were so photogenic, I couldn't resist.

How impressive is this mud though?


After days of rain and grey and fog, when the sun does come out it is blinding, as if it has to make up for the days it's hidden away. Not much warmth in it though. We headed out along the footpaths through the fields, observed by the basking ladies.


Much of the walk was along country roads - I know they look quaint but they're pretty dangerous for walkers and cars alike.  When I first got here, it absolutely terrified me to drive these lanes. I've got used to them and don't crawl along quite as much as I did then, but still, I'm very wary.


Quite a relief to turn off into the woods.


Time for a break at the Taplow Church. A sign announced that if you intended to attend Midnight Mass, you needed to book a ticket!  I've never seen that before.  Apparently they are fed up with the once-a-year attendees just pitching and leaving the regulars out in the cold ...

 

Lunch was calling so back into the fields


A very curious bystander looking like she wanted to chat.


Poser ..

They are so square, very appealing.



This is my idea of a perfect walk - lunch after.  Those roast potatoes were some of the best I have ever tasted.


It was fun. Merry pre-Christmas!

2 comments: