Cats

Friday 3 March 2017

Kensington Palace 5 February 2017

I didn't think I was being affected by the weather or the season but I was wrong.  This is my second winter here. Last year everything was new and charming, now things have settled down into my new normal and the constant greyness is getting me down.  I don't mind the cold, but on sunny days life is  immediately happier and brighter - though the ratio of grey days to sunny days is about 5:2 if we're lucky and you can bet those two days happen during the week. I find too it's affecting my desire to get out and about - it's somehow just easier to stay home and read, which is good until you realise the only person you've spoken to in 2 days is the cashier at the supermarket, and will your voice work on Monday morning?

So on this grey and chilly day I thought I'd get some more use out of the Historic Royal Palaces Card and Kensington Palace was the destination. Still the residence of many of the royal family, the State Rooms are open to the public.  I walked towards Hyde Park through the streets of Bayswater.


Into Kensington Gardens which is the other side of Hyde Park.


This is a memorial to John Hanning Speke, one of those men in the great tradition of British Explorers who discovered  Lake Victoria and the source of the Nile.

 

Grey!


This bronze statue is called "Physical Energy" by the English Artist George Frederic Watts. The first bronze casting was made in 1902 and stands below Rhodes Memorial on Devil's Peak in Cape Town - I've been there often and didn't know this!  This statue in Kensington Gardens is the second casting made in 1905. A third version was cast in 1959 and is situated in Harare. A strong African connection.

Kensington Palace appears out of the gloom.


Bird bath time apparently ...




Much splashing and flurry, totally unpreturbed by spectating humans





Or Queen Victoria who has seen this all before.


Having recently watched the series Victoria it was really interesting to see the palace and her apartments, though there is lots more to see.


The King's staircase, much as it looked in 1727.



The Throne Room 



The view probably hasn't changed much in 400 years.


Games people play.





The Queen's gallery.


And the Queen's bedchamber.



Then into Victoria's apartment.



She was really little.







And then, as happens to most of us, not so little any more.


But still, it's thirsty work all this sightseeing.


Back out in to the cold.  Brrr


No signs of spring yet.




A chilled pigeon.





No comments:

Post a Comment