Cats

Tuesday 13 June 2017

Tate Britain 2 April 2017

Kate & Kean left at the end of March and we all got back to our daily lives. It was a good holiday. Just as I was getting used to being around people outside of work, I was left to my own devices. What to do?

London is always a fallback position for me - there is such a lot going on all the time, just pick something. I love it - exhausting, but also exhilarating.

Tate Modern - actually it was supposed to be Tate Britain but I wasn't really paying attention so I ended up at the Tate Modern first, before realising that the Hockney exhibition was on the other side of the river (and a fair distance away), but, no worries - how British is that statement?

Lunchtime view



Then a quick look around. There is a lot to see in the new building. I'll have to come back.








And the stark reminder that I was in the wrong place! The tickets are timed so it was a matter of calculating how long I had, how long it was going to take to get there and then fitting in as much as I could in the time left over.





This exhibition looked of particular interest but I only had time for a quick look-see.




I'm still not sure what was going on outside with all the smoke and water vapour, could be fun on a hot day.



Then hop on and off 2 buses, a short walk and Bob's your uncle!






Of course, no photographs, but it was an excellent exhibition. Ann & I had been to see the Hockney Portraits exhibition at the Royal Academy last year which was great, but there was a lot more of his work on view here.  I'm a big fan.

This is definitely one of the huge positives of living here, the privilege of seeing original art.  Even if you aren't the hugest fan, just the fact that you can see and experience the work enhances your own view of the world.

 

Now, isn't this fabulous? To me it's reminiscent of making shapes with sparklers. Quite magical - this light installation is by Cerith Wyn Evans and consists of 2km of neon lighting suspended from the ceiling. 



Good cake ...


This is my first time here at Tate Britain so the building was of as much interest as the artworks.






It has a lovely open, spacious feel about it, quite different from the Tate Modern which is quite brutally industrial.



Tate Britain has the largest collection of works by Turner. They are so full of light, quite different from a lot of the old masters. 





I felt like I'd walked all over London and my feet were hurting so I just glimpsed into galleries and made my way out into the sunshine.


This part of London is new to me and there is quite a lot of interesting street art.





I was very happy to find the bus direct to Paddington, but there's lots more to explore here. I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment