Cats

Wednesday 9 December 2015

Christmas Cottage 13 to 15 November 2015

With the aid of the new SatNav I made it down to Surrey to visit Karen and Bruce who live in this wonderfully named house. Friends from South Africa, it really was like being home - admittedly without some of the key people, but it was warm and friendly and good food and lots of good wine and some interesting conversations.  It was also the weekend of the Paris attacks which we watched with shocked horror all weekend.

The rain was pelting down on Saturday but Karen gave me a guided tour of the neighborhood.  If this church looks familiar, it's because you've either watched 4 Weddings and a Funeral too many times or just seen it recently.  It's in Dorking by the way.



After that we headed out to Leith Hill, apparently the highest point in South East England.  We hauled out the umbrellas and headed into the woods. There are Sequoia Redwoods here - I've seen a few since I've been here but they still surprise me.



Leith Hill Place, at one time the home of the composer Ralph Vaughn Williams, is closed for the winter so we didn't get to look around.  Just the view from a distance.  It's beautiful though. (Ignore the earth moving equipment!)


With it getting more wet by the minute we made our way back to Dorking and to Bruce and Karen's Antique Shop called Chantecleer where Bruce was on duty for the day.  We had lunch amongst the antiques - so civilised! You can just see that the conversation was outrageous.  



I had a good look around and took a selfie - my first!


Down in the basement of the shop is some antique graffiti.



Back at the house was art of a different genre ...


On Sunday, the rain had stopped so we went for a walk in the hills.  Surrey is gorgeous though particularly muddy after the rain.




Some interesting chickens and woolly sheep.



Back for lunch. I met so many lovely people this weekend - I will be back!  Thanks to Karen and Bruce for their hospitality and fun and good food and sharing their friends and the hot tub!  By the way, I did check with them if they would mind me using their pictures and they said not.  I hope they don't regret that decision.  We will raise a glass to them at Christmas in KB.



No comments:

Post a Comment