Cats

Saturday 12 December 2015

Eton Windsor 24 November 2015

I thought I'd do another walk from Eton to Windsor without the fog this time.  The Ramblers were doing a short walk around Windsor and I wanted to to walk a bit further so I tacked this route on before I met up with them.  Boy it was cold!  The temp on my mobile read -5 and there was thick ice on my car - a very new experience for me.  I'm not minding the cold at all, except when walking - my face gets so cold - I think a balaclava might be in order.



Across the Jubilee River and along the tree lined lane heading towards Eton College.



This bridge is the start of the wall which features the famous Eton Wall Game.  Its a game similar to Rugby Union played by Eton scholars on a strip of land 5 metres wide and 110 metres long alongside a slightly curved wall built in 1717. It's all gets very complicated and (whispering) ... I don't have very much interest in games like this. It's the history that I find interesting!  I know, blasphemy.



Into Windsor.  I was a bit early so went into Starbucks for coffee - it was so cold outside that my glasses fogged up completely.

The walk was all about the curiosities of Windsor.  I'm afraid I don't remember a lot of the stories, but they make for interesting viewing.



I do remember that these crosses were carved into the stones of the castle when the sculptor had a family member incarcerated within the castle.


I love the lace carved into the back of Queen Victoria's veil.




The Christmas decorations have a royal theme - as you would expect.



Through the main part of Windsor and into the back streets.



Doris Mellor was a History graduate, served in the Navy and a social activist with a South African connection - she was headmistress at Wykham School, Pietermaritzburg for 20 years.


This marker is one of many on the walkway which commemorates the occasion of Queen Elizabeth reaching 63 years (and 210 days) and becoming the longest reigning monarch.



After a cup of coffee, it was back the way I'd come.  It really hadn't got any warmer at all during the day so I was really glad to finally get back to the car and home.



No comments:

Post a Comment