Cats

Sunday 17 July 2016

Wales and newly discovered family June 2016

Ann is the historian and the researcher in our family, so when she said that she had been in touch with our cousin Ruth and was going to Wales to meet up with my mother's sister Beth, I was really keen to join her.  We stayed in a lovely house in Tintern, up in the hills with a garden overflowing with flowers - just gorgeous - you have to have something to show for all that rain!


We had to arranged to meet Ruth and David in Thornbury at my aunt's home.  I had never met them before so seeing my aunt was quite an emotional experience as she reminded me so strongly of my mom, who died three years ago. Even though my mother had spent 50 years in Africa, they sounded so similar and the personality! Instantly recognisable and so familiar.


She's 92 (there was so much information, I hope I haven't got the facts wrong) and so full of life and vigor.  Inspiring.


All the photo albums were hauled out and we took a trip through a lifetime which we were part of, which indirectly impacted on ours but had been a closed book until now.  Living on our side of the world until just last year, our lives were distinctly lacking in close family so it's wonderful to find cousins!  So much to catch up on.

After much talking we went out for lunch, hence the group photo.


Then we went off to Ruth and David's home to look at more photo's.  There were a lot but the following are my favourites.

I was particularly taken with this little daguerreotype which measured 2 x 2.5 inches at the most.  Our great great grandfather taken in 1880.


My mom as a young girl, the little blonde.


Another photo that appealed, a day at the beach.


And then all grown up.


What a lovely day, but nevertheless, emotionally draining.  It was almost a relief to sit in a traffic jam over the Severn Bridge.


Even time to get a bit of a closer up view as there is usually nowhere to stop.  Yes, it was still raining. Summer is still just a rumour at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment