Cats

Saturday 12 November 2016

Out and about

This time of year in Cape Town the weather can be very changeable - up into the 30's one day and then cool and rainy the next. Fortunately the 10 days I was there, I hardly noticed the wind. At this time of year the south easter rears it's head and you think "how can you possibly forget this wind!", but you do, during the winter. I've seen some pictures online of the effects of the wind this last week and it's been a raging monster.  But not on this day.

Elsie's Peak

Simonstown

Monday was sunny and visiting Corinne, we got to take a trip on her paddleboat.  First time I've been on one and more different from a kayak you could hardly get - what a lot of fun and you stay pleasantly dry.  I learnt to kayak on this vlei and spent almost as much time in the water as on top of the boat.  So, reclining on cushions we had an easy trip until we turned back into the wind, then not so easy.



Corrine, the most hospitable host with magic green fingers. Her garden always looks like this!



Ducati (I think, or Suzuki) - what great names for cats! 


Tuesday was hanging out with Kate at Mugg & Bean (who have definitely upped their game with their new menu) at the V&A Waterfront.  This is the closest shopping centre to my home in Woodstock so I know it well. Even in cosmopolitan Cape Town, this is a place where you will hear accents from all over the world.  From what used to be run down docks in the 1980's, this area has become the most vibrant, exciting, tourist destination.






 Alongside the modern shopping centre with cinemas, an aquarium, world class shops and restaurants, is a working harbour and, under construction , a wonderful new modern art gallery - the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa - the huge building under construction in background.  The old grain silo building is in the process of being turned into 9500 sqm of exciting galleries and art studios. It's due for completion by the end of 2016 so definitely on my list for my next visit.
 If you're a local, this place is best avoided during the festive season, but during the winter an ice cream and a stroll down to look at the boats is a great way of spending time.

Having been back a few days I felt like I've never been away.  It's quite a strange feeling really - like I have 2 lives - one in the UK, which is good if a bit lonely sometimes, but on the whole I'm very content with the the kind of life I have. Then my life in Africa which is my heart life.  It's certainly the people but also the place, the smells, the sounds.  Two weeks once or twice a year is not enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment