Cats

Tuesday 15 November 2016

Swimming with Penguins

This is the best swimming I've ever had in my life. I've swum all my life so I've been into the water in a lot of places, but this place - Water's Edge - this is the best.  It's the secret little beach next to Boulders Beach with deep pools surrounded by kelp forest and huge rocks so even when the wind is howling in the bay, it's almost always relatively calm. On those special days when the water is completely calm and the water is crystal clear, you can see and swim metres down to the sea floor.




Even though you are in False Bay, this is still the Atlantic so the water is never warm, but if you swim often enough in Cape Town, you grow accustomed to the low temperatures.  Today was round 11 degrees according to the False Bay weather website, so quite chilly.  The trick is to hang around in the shallows until you go numb, then dive in.  I know that sounds ridiculous but take my word for it, it's worth it.  And you may even get to swim with penguins.  I don't mean in any close proximity but this beach is right next to the colony at Boulders so there are often penguins and you are just another sea creature to them so they just ignore you.


I had the beach to myself, very unusual but I suppose some people have to work ...


The water was absolutely crystal clear and icy. The sun was warm and friendly. Bliss.



Some more penguins


But time to get out and get warm!


The Sweetest Thing - that's the other part of the swimming tradition.  An unpretentious little patisserie in Simonstown - a place for good coffee, excellent cake and pastries. So many delicious treats, it's very hard to choose. If necessary, take some home with you, you won't regret it. Look out for the yellow umbrellas and make sure to stop. 


2 comments:

  1. Lovely pics. Still haven't had a swim there this summer. Weather just not playing along !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wind looks like it has been crazy there but I'm sure there will be days soon good enough for swimming. The day I left, Claudia and I went for a swim and there were bluebottles in the water. I've never seen them there before. Was a bit of a shock!

    ReplyDelete