Cats

Sunday 11 March 2018

Kensington Palace 16 November 2017

Almost the end of the year, yes, I know I'm still way behind, but we'll get there.

On a Friday morning I headed off to London to see Princess Di's dresses. The exhibition has been on at Kensington Palace for a while but I thought I better get there before I miss it completely.

A cold, but sunny day, I hopped on the 148 bus heading towards Shepherds Bush.

The lion almost got the impala this time ... Quite a strange sight in the middle of the London traffic.


I'm a big public transport fan. Coming from virtually no public transport to a system that runs - despite the complaints and delays and cancellations, it does run - is a quiet thrill everytime I use it. If you have time, the bus system is a good way to see the city. Some of the bus drivers are great, friendly and helpful, others, rude and belligerent. You do need to know where you want to go.



Hyde Park, western side.


Keep walking till you see Queen Victoria ensconced on a plinth.






Follow the general flow of the people ..


and there you are. Quite interesting that they have no problem with cameras and taking photos.


To those of us of a certain age, all these dresses are instantly recognisable. She was the most photographed woman of her time. I felt quite nostalgic.

At 1.78 m - she was tall for a woman. What surprised me is how slender she must have been. These dresses are small.


Then out of the crowds into the cold, fresh air.


Past the White Garden, designed and planted in Princess Diana's memory. Rather bleak today, but the bones are there.


The Orangery.



Just peeping out of the foliage in the distance, the Albert Memorial, designed by George Gilbert Scott. You can't miss it - ostentatious, gaudy but fun.




Back out into Bayswater Road and  a swift walk for a couple of kms. One of my favourite things in London. You're anonymous, interesting people to look at, interesting things to see. Some find it lonely and unfriendly, but not me, it still gives me a buzz.



No comments:

Post a Comment