Cats

Saturday 31 March 2018

Lindfield 31.3.2018

Tomorrow is April and winter is just not letting up here on this little island. I still have the Cape Town trip to blog about but it's a big commitment. Life has been very busy. When we got back from South Africa in mid February, within a week I had started two new jobs. (I do freelance accounting). Never one to make things easy for myself, it's been a steep learning curve and has required a lot of focus. Everything else has taken a bit of a back seat and with the constant cold (and snow - more than I've seen in my 3 years here), the blog has really been neglected. Today I thought I'd just do a blog post about what is happening at the moment, and do the catch-up posts when there's a bit of time.


So, Lindfield. I've also started Tai Chi - that's another story! - and the class this week was held in Lindfield - a medieval market town. The High Street was originally an ancient north-south track that has existed for thousands of years, long before the Romans built their major road west of the village
 


After the class I took a walk up the High Street. We've driven through here often but it was great to stop and look at everything. It's a really pretty village with a lot of beautifully restored houses, interesting shops, a great bakery and a coffee shops. Quite posh. I love this wedding dress shop, by appointment only .. No really, I do really like the simplicity of the window, very effective.


The 272 bus. A good one to catch if you're heading for the station, it runs close to where we live too.

At the top of High Street is All Saints Church which dates from the 13th to the 15th centuries.


Tortured trees, these look like clenched fists. I think they are Lime Trees. And daffodils, trying so hard to make an impact on the grey.


Suitably tumbledown headstones.





Back out on to the High Street and down the way I came, on the other side of the street.
 




All this exercise! Tai Chi, for something so calm and gentle, is such a workout and weirdly, makes me happy (that's how I feel after each class).  A couple of years ago, back in Cape Town, Brenda tried to teach us but it we weren't good students. Recently I was looking for something which is physical as well as sustainable and good for stress.  So it seems, the right time and the right place. The point is, I was hungry. Time for tea.. and breakfast.




At the opposite end of the High Street is natural spring fed pond and some resident ducks. 





By now it was lunchtime and there was a real chill in the air. Time to head home. Perhaps the sun will come out tomorrow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment