Cats

Monday 2 May 2016

A walk in Hurley & along the Thames Path & Warren Row 10 April 2016

After having been laid low with a really bad cold I was ready for a walk in the fresh air and hopefully some sunshine.  I met up with the Ramblers at a car park in the small very pretty village of Hurley which lies on the banks of the Thames.





One of the other ladies remembered camping here as a child and there is a large carvanning / camping site on the river.  Lots of water related activities take place here too.



The sun was shining though there were clouds around and when the sun went behind a cloud it was cold!  So not warm enough yet for summer clothes.   Lots of flowers though.  The daffodils are almost over but everything else is in bud.


And the ubiquitous swan ...


Apparently the Queen owns all unmarked mute swans in open water in Britain - so this is one of the Queen's swans.  Quite regal too.

After a while we turned away from the river and headed out into the fields.  Going up this hill was a bit of a challenge after a chest infection and I know I harp on about this, but my head gets so cold!  I am learning not to go anywhere without a beanie.  I've never worn hats much in my life, not since that dreadful boater at Kimberley Girls High, but I've changed my tune this winter.


The plan had been to stop off for coffee at the Dew Drop Inn, but it was closed for refurbishment! Surprising how often that happens - phone beforehand to check I think!  But bring a flask along anyway.  No sign of any workmen. So we just had a break.




Then heading back through fields where two sheep seemed to be squaring off against each other.


You quite often come across these strange sculptures - nobody seems to know who sculpts them. Interesting though.


Through some woodlands and some Blue Bells trying their best.


And down a steep hill towards Hurley


Lunch!  At the Bell Inn built in 1135.  It's quite posh now.




I needed a nap after all that fresh air so that was my afternoon all planned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment