Cats

Monday 30 May 2016

London by Bus 1 May 2016

Mayday - and the sun came out to celebrate.  It was a glorious day as I went into London to meet up with Judy, Matthew and Dayne.   Even Paddington was sparkling that morning.


The sun was highlighting the Indo Gothic internal windows at the station.  I've never noticed them before.


This was Dayne and Matt's first trip to London so we decided to do the red bus trip.  A really good way of getting an overview of London.   I was early to meet them at London Bridge so I took a look around the area.



I love these wobbly reflections of St Pauls



 Life imitating art?


Southwark Cathedral is just opposite London Bridge Station


There wasn't much time for more than a quick look-see.  Lots of things to see though and a celebration of Shakespeare who apparently worshipped here.




Then to our meet up, which took more than it's fair share of phone calls to pinpoint our locations!

Apologies for the smudge on the photos.  I did eventually notice and clean the lens.  I'm a bit of an amateur I'm afraid.


We connected eventually and after coffee we found our bus stop and climbed aboard.  It's an interesting viewpoint of London and because it takes in all the famous sights it gives you a perspective of the city which would take much longer on foot.



What is normally above eye level is now plain to see from the top deck of the bus (the only way to travel on a bus) - you don't really see such (or indeed, much) adornment on modern buildings, do you?


This is the back of Buckingham Palace - they do seem to have a bit of a problem with intruders! Another one caught this week.


Waterloo Station - a beautiful building.


Then Big Ben and the Eye from a different angle.


Back through the city, past the one of the dragons that guard the boundaries of the City of London.


Past Ye Olde Cock Tavern


If you're quick, you may catch a glimpse of a young Elizabeth from 1586 down a side street.


St Pauls, gleaming!


A Phoenix possibly?


Then it really was time for lunch.


Because it was a Bank Holiday and the start of spring, the Embankment was heaving, but just one or two streets back was much quieter.  It's a business area of London so there wasn't much open but we did find a Pret a Manger and the lunch was delicious! (much to my surprise).


Included in the bus ticket was a boat ride down to Westminster.


Where we disembarked



Do these people look exhausted?  They were, we were and sun burnt!  Matthew says "that's London done, don't have to do that again".  Not me though, once I've caught my breath, I'll be back.  I love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment